Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Amazing People I Work With!

I am very excited to announce that I am now the new intern at JAMN 94.5. I am working side by side many incredible people. I am looking forward to learning as much as possible from these people who I grew up listening too on my morning drive to middle school, high school, and some college. I am very excited to make connections with these people as I admire their positions and work. This is also the station that I have always wanted to work for in my area. It plaays hip-hop music and is exactly in my comfort zone. Bellow are pictures and mini biographies I created to let you know some of my new co-worker's backgrounds.


Ramiro Torres, who is also know as "The Freaking Puertorican" has literally been working at the station for decades. I grew up listening to him every morning, along side his former co-host Melissa and Pebbles. He is very popular for his Jam Scams and also for being hilarious. He attended New England Institute of Art and initiated his radio career at JAMN as an intern (like me). He worked his way up from being an intern, then hosting nights, then afternoons, and finally in the year of 2001 he became the official host of the morning show for JAMN. He is someone I admire very much as he is considered a minority such as myself, and despite our statistics, he is very successful and has proved many wrong.

Santi Deoleo, who is also know as "Krazy Kulo"has also been working at JAMN 945 for ages. On the air, Santi was known as the crazy stunt man who would do outrages things, often times encouraged by Ramiro. He eventually became the co-producer, and in 2007 he became the Executive Producer of the morning show. Now, since 2012, Santi has put Krazy Kulo to the side and is now on the air as himself, but still continues to talk about crazy things and continues doing crazy stunts. He is also Dominican. His parents migrated to this country (another thing we have in common) when he was 2 years old. He attended Endicott College where he earned a Communications Bachelors degree. He actually started off as an intern (such as myself) in the year 2000, and 14 years later, he is still there. I consider Santi a role model because he has put Dominicans on the map by also breaking statistics, becoming very successful. I look forward to learning from him and I look at him as a mentor.

Ashlee Feldman is a recent member of the morning show. I don't know much about her, except that she is originally from New Jersey, and attended college in Northeastern University, where she was the captain of the woman's basketball team. She was also part of the Real World New Orleans cast. Even though I don't know much of her, I also look forward to working with her and getting pointers. Since she is also very fresh to the radio world, I feel like I can relate to her and I think I have potential of connecting with her on a different level than the guys.

Back in 2012, I interviewed with JAMN 94.5, but I wasn't able to get the internship because with my old college, I was not eligible to receive academic credit because I had already interned somewhere else. The guy who interviewed me for the position was Justin Aguirre, who is now my internship supervisor. Luckily, I kept in touch with him after that interview, and he forwarded my internship to Kiss 108, which is why I think I got  my internship with Kiss 108 during the summer. He is also the one who I am actually working with the most now at JAMN. He also started as an intern and he is teaching me how to do everything. He does all the behind the scenes work and I am looking forward to help him do all the pod-casting, ticket give-aways, and more. He graduated from Salem State University.

Mariela Sanchez
Communications Internship
Senior Year

No comments:

Post a Comment